We started our journey from Kelana Jaya, my meeting point to hitchhike a ride from Eng Hoo and Lisa. We departed at around 8.00am, stopped by a coffee shop to pack our lunch. During our journey to Gopeng, we made a stop by the side of the road to do some photography. Location? Not sure but there was a signboard further up that says 18km to Tanjung Malim. Yes it was really dangerous and I admit I was really anxious to quickly get moving. Well I guess you just have to take the risk when you are traveling with some hardcore photographers and nature people. Since we were at it, I manage to take some photos of a Serpent Eagle, resting on a tree. Even by walking in drain makes my leg tremble. Cars and trucks were swooshing pass so fast.
Serpent Eagle
We made a stop at Ladang Bikam rest stop to rendezvous with the rest of the group. This was our meeting point. Time was around 9.50am. We continued to Tapah rest stop for some drinks and food while waiting for Milo to arrive. We reach Gopeng toll at around 11.30am, where Eng Hoo took us through a short cut to Adeline Rest House in Kampung Geruntum. If I remember correctly, right after Gopeng Toll, turn left at the traffic light and turn left again at the first turning into some Kampung area. After that, just follow the path straight on. There should be some signs that you could follow. The best thing about this short cut is that is by pass the need to go through Gopeng town. Bye-bye traffic light and speed bumps.
The shortcut passes by small Kampungs
We reach Adeline Rest House at around 12.00pm. It was a really cozy place with bamboo huts of different sizes. The rooms are square with nothing inside except thin mattresses. There is no attached bathroom, but toilets with shower and flushable bowls are close by. This place is great for those who would like to live in nature but can’t do without a proper toilet. Of course there is no hot water and all water sources come from the river. The water is cold but really refreshing. Surrounding the area are mainly rubber and durian trees.
The entrance to Adeline Rest House
Adeline Rest House
Parking area. The shack on the left is the registration counter.
And this is Adeline, the bubbly and friendly owner
My Bamboo House, Rumah Durian
Pillow and mattresses
A room made out of bamboo with nothing but thin mattresses and pillow
Layout of Adeline Rest House
One of the bamboo house
There are bathrooms around. You don’t have to go dig a hole to do your business.
After unloading all our stuff and choosing our desired rooms, we headed straight for Geruntum Waterfall. I think that’s what they call it. Entrance fee is RM2/person, paid to maintain the falls. The waterfall is around 15minutes drive from our accommodation. Beautiful place. I wish I brought my tripod. Then I can take those cool dreamy waterfall shots. Anyway, we had our pack lunch there. The water was really cold. While most of us were soaking ourselves in the water,
Me! On my way to the waterfalls
Centipede
Geruntum Waterfalls
Spiders
At around 2pm, three other friends and I left for White Water Rafting at Sungai Kampar, a Class I-III rapid. The rest continue soaking themselves in the fall. We headed back to the rest house to change and unload all non waterproof equipment. I still can’t believe I actually left my camera gears in the room that has no locks or windows. By the way, all the huts there have no locks. I was re-assured by Eng Hoo that it was ok. After signing my life away on the indemnity form, 4 of us and the guide walked to the river bank. We were given our standard life jacket and helmet for safety. They made us do body rafting. This is where we lie on our back peddling gently with our legs down the rapids, swimming to the side right after the rapids. I guess they wanted to see if we were comfortable with water. I was laughing and smiling so much that I took a big gulp of water. We were given briefing on rafting at the bank of the river before setting of for our first rapids. There is just so much to talk about, but I guess I’ll just let a couple of photos do the talking.
Setting up the raft. Ours is the blue one.
Me! During one of the breaks
Our guide, a Sabahan, talking to Eng Hoo
The water level wasn’t high enough to proceed further. We stopped at around kilometer 7. There was supposed to be another 3 kilometers more I think. Since we had already traveled all the way down the river, we had a lorry ready to send us back. The raft was loaded on to the lorry and we had the honor to sit on top of it. It was a true experience not to be forgotten, dodging tree branches and leaves.
Carrying the raft out of the river and onto a lorry
Never before have I sit behind a lorry before
The rest was already at the rest house when we returned. Had my bath in the icy cold water and went round the place to take some photos with Milo . Rubber seeds were exploding constantly making these really loud bang and dropping seeds on the ground. I picked up a few just for the hack of it. To be honest, I have never seen them before and learnt that if you take the seed and rub it hard against a concrete floor, it can actually produce enough heat to burn your skin.
There were two friends who opt to do camping instead
Hammock. Really comfortable to sit in, especially during breezy days
So these were the culprits that were making the noise
This one did not explode like the rest
Mushrooms were all over the place
Is this a dragonfly?
Dinner was ready at 7.30pm. We had the honor to have our dinner at the new Adeline Villa. Adeline Villa was around 500meters from where we were staying. Same owner, but marketed for different class of people. I’ll say it’s for those who so call wants to bond with nature but still have to sleep in comfort. The villas there are equip with air condition and attached bathroom. And yes, the rooms come with locks. Laughing out loudly, Adeline told us that there have been times when her customers had to mail back the keys to her. She exclaims that most of the time she too forgets to ask the keys back from the customer. Having room keys is just not her thing.
Our dinner was lineup neatly ready for us to gorge in. There was so much food, all personally cooked by Adeline. The thing that intrigues me most is the soup in the bamboo. So cool.
Walking to Adeline Villa for dinner
The kitchen
Adeline cooking for us
Soup in bamboo
My Dinner
After dinner, we just chilled at the makan area, sharing stories with one another. The most interesting part was when Adeline starts sharing her stories on how this place got started. It was really interesting and she was extremely friendly. Eng Hoo said that she was always afraid that her customer had not enough to eat. Well that explains the amount of food serve to us.
Anyway, a few of us who were going for night walk had to leave earlier. Our guide, Ngah was waiting for us at Ulu Geroh. Being a Green Badge Guide holder, he is really experience and had eyes like a hawk. He spotted most of the insects and birds for us. The journey into Ulu Geroh was around 5km from our rest house. We traveled in a 4WD passing through the palm oil estate and entering into the Semai community. The first few kilometers of the road was a smooth one, leading to a really bumpy ride in the middle and back smooth again at the last few kilometers.
We started our journey into the Rafflesia trail at around 9.00pm. Yes it’s the same trail we were going to take tomorrow morning. The trail wasn’t pitched dark as it was almost full moon. The path was lilted up brightly by the moon. It wasn’t really good for us as most insects won’t be out. Anyway the main itinerary for tonight was to see if we can catch a glimpse of the Bioluminescence Mushroom. I don’t know what it is called thought. The night was really dry and these mushrooms only grow when it rains a few nights before. However, we were really lucky that Ngah spotted one extremely tiny one for us. I didn’t have the proper equipment to take a picture of it but you can see it from Eng Hoo’s blog (this was taken during his previous trips) or Milo’s blog (this is the one I saw during the night). We saw a whole lot of insects that night. Most of the time I don’t even know what I am photographing and this is my first time shooting in the dark.
A lizard sleeping
But was awaken by us. Who wouldn’t, with flashlight flashing non-stop at you.
Grasshopper
Is this a leaf bug?
Caterpillar
Another leaf bug
Spider
A spider feeding on its prey. It went into defensive mode when it saw us.
Cockroach
This little fella was way up a tree and Ngah manage to spot it. Thank Eng Hoo for lending me his 100-400mm L.
So many spiders. Where are all the Spider Hunters. Eat them all up.
See it was almost full moon
You must be wondering what those 3 are doing. There is a really huge spiderweb in front of them. If you look closely at the lady’s shirt, you can see the shadow of the spider.
Stick Insect mating
And their egg
And finally, the spot light of the night. The Bioluminescence Mushroom. Look how small it is. Microscopic.
This is the same mushroom as the photo above. Flashlights were all switch off to see it glow. Really tiny and only Milo was equip to photograph this.
This was take by Eng Hoo during his previous visit here. This was way bigger than the one we saw, but still tiny. A beautiful shot.
Our last stop was at the glow in the dark mushroom breeding place. By that time it was already 12am. We headed back down the trail and drove the same 5km back to our rest house. We expected the rest to be sound a sleep, but instead we heard burst of laughter filling the air. I took my bath is the super icy water; slip on my PJ’s and was knock out completely. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s Rafflesia Trail hike.
On our way back, spotted a sleeping bird




































































No comments:
Post a Comment