Monday, March 24, 2008

Day 4 – Low Peak Summit – The Summit and the Descent - 22nd March 2008

The alarm rang at 2.00am sharp, I think. Arm with our warm clothing, we were ready to complete our quest to conquer Mount Kinabalu. The temperature was around 8 degrees but I didn’t feel cold. The weather was good that morning. Slight drizzle now and then but no biting wind. Outside it was pitch black. Try closing your eyes and that is what I see that night. The only thing we could see is the light emitting out from our torch.

Despite my poor legs screaming stop, I was determine to reach the summit. The pace was really slow as there was a long queue up the mountain. Yes, a long queue. I’m not joking. This shows how popular Mount Kinabalu is. As mention earlier, it was pitch black; therefore it made no point taking out my camera at all. My camera wouldn’t even focus.

The start of the climb was yet again stairs. You climb up flights and flights of stairs. As I was resting at around ¼ of the climb, an ultimate rude disgusting guy sat opposite me and gave a huge gas explosion. He practically farted like nobody business and I’m sure it lasted more than 5 seconds long. It was continuous and extremely loud. I abandon my rest and left with out hesitation to as far as I could get. I bet if I have stayed, I would have heard the returning echo of his disgusting fart.

I was extremely tired throughout the climb, stopping very very frequently gasping for air. The air was really thin and you really need to take deep breath and hold it. That was what I learn from experience.

Reaching the 6.5km mark (I think), the climb got slightly more difficult. It now requires both your hands to assist with the climb. A thick white rope is all you had to pull yourself up. This is also the point where the portals usually ask if you are capable enough, if not turn back.

While we slowly made our way up, the portals or seasonal climbers were jumping around upwards like mountain goats. There were a few areas where using the rope wasn’t necessary and in fact much easier and safer. Use your common sense when you are up there anyway and listen to your guide. They are very experienced and know the route very well.

Once we reach Sayat-Sayat hut we had to present our tag to the guard in charge. As I said before, you won’t be able to proceed on if you do not have your tag with you. At this point, you have the option to rest and remain in the hut or pursue on. You will still get your cert even if you do not make it to the summit. I’m referring to the color one. I found this out after my climb. Our guide told us that he would not sign our cert if we do not make it to the top. I guess he was just motivating us to move on and complete the climb. For those who do not make it to the Sayat-Sayat rest house would receive a brown cert instead. I’ve climb so far and it make no sense of giving up.

We rested at the Sayat-Sayat rest house and re-supplied our water bottles before moving on. There were only 5 of us left, Samantha, Mei Yen, Sheng Wei, Eong Xien and I. The rest were quite far away. Our rest became more apparent and every time I rested, I felt like sleeping. I have to constantly pinch myself in order not to doze off. I’m afraid that I will never wake up.

Anyway I did not make it for the sunrise. Halfway reaching the 8km mark, the sun rose and lit the sky. The view was still awesome and the surrounding around you was finally more visible.

Donkey Ears and Sunrise.


Looking down from the 8km mark


Looking up from the 8km mark


Sea of clouds


It was a really clear day.


The highest point of the mountain. My god, still such a long way to go.


The Kilometer 8.5 mark.






Our portal on the far right


As we make our final climb to the peak, the rest were actually on their way down. We met up with the rest of our group and receive a whole lot of encouragement. It wasn’t far and I could smell the smell of success.

Looking down from the peak (well almost the peak)


Finally at 0715hours, I made it to the top. The view was magnificent and beyond describable. You just got to experience it on your own. The feeling of accomplishment was immense and my dream of conquering the mountain finally came true. Though I missed the sunrise, it wasn’t a bad point. Really! We needn’t have to squeeze or wait for anyone to take photographs. We had the whole peak to ourselves. Not really, but it wasn’t crowded. By the way we weren’t the last group. Haha…

We had our pictures take with the most important ornament up there, the Low’s Peak sign. It seems to be a must to take picture with that old looking board. A prove of some kind to tell people you have conquered the summit.

I did it. 100% genuine. Not photoshoped!


We did it. From bottom clockwise: Samantha, Eong Xian, Mei Yen, Me and Sheng Wei.


After a couple of snaps, our guide was rushing us to return. He was afraid that we wouldn’t make it to the bottom on time. Descending down the mountain wasn’t as bad as I though. I found it quite easy as oppose to other bloggers who state that the descending part was much more difficult. Anyway, the tiredness I had somehow seems to have faded away and I was amazed on how much we have actually climbed. We were actually constantly looking for a flat ground to rest during our way up. It seems that there are plenty. Just that it was dark and you are advice not to wander too far away from the white rope.

The south peak


If you look closely, you can see our portal resting right up at the mountain. I guess he was bored with the pace we took.


The countdown begins again, another 8km to go.


South peak again.


We could feel that the weather was about to change on our way down. Thick and heavy clouds started moving in, covering most of the peaks.



Besides rocks, these are the only shrubs you can find.


A few of us descending slowly.


As the rocks were wet, we need to take precaution not to slip. By the way, I actually slip and fell 2 or 3 times but was lucky enough not to get injured. We reach the Sayat-sayat resthouse at around 8.45am. Here, we need to represent our tag to the guard in-charged. We inquired about the time needed to reach Laban Rata and guess what the answer he gave was. “Sepuluh minit-lah bagi saya!” (10 minutes for me). I however anticipated that we would take at least 2-3hours plus.

We of course rested again before moving on. Amazingly there was a public phone right next to the Sayat-sayat hut being the highest public phone in Malaysia. Somehow or other, I predicted that it wasn’t working and I was right!!!

Sayat-sayat check point.


The best water I have ever drank. It really did taste different. Extremely refreshing


The highest non working public phone in Malaysia. Kakakka…


The weather changed, drizzling now and then.

Some of the more difficult slopes


The stairs are slippery, so take extra care.


We reach Laban Rata at 10.15am and it rained heavily just as we entered the rest house. We had our lunch and were given only one hour time to pack and rest. At 11.30am, we continued our way down despite the rain. Somehow or other, the lucky star always seems to be shining on us. The rain subsides though still drizzling a little.

Throughout the whole climb down, my camera was safely tucked inside my bag as I needed to be extra careful on slippery rocks. There weren’t much opportunity for photography anyway as everyone was moving down so fast. We skip through a couple of rest house and headed down as fast as our legs could move. I’m glad I was going down today and not up. It would be dreadful to climb in the rain.

If you have read, my previous post, you would have remembered me mentioning about a flight of stairs downward. Well, I had to climb up the flight of stairs now to reach Timpohon Gate. My legs were like jelly and I had to take 2 stairs at a time. I couldn’t go more than that even if I force myself to. At 3.17pm, I finally reached Timpohon gate, being the 4th in our group to complete the climb. Like I said, I found it much easier to climb downwards and oxygen level was back to normal.

We were drench, mainly by our sweat and not the rain.


My shoe was still in one piece


We waited patiently for the rest to arrive, thank our portal before heading back to the Park HQ for our dinner. It was suppose to be a buffet lunch, but the management allowed us to convert it into dinner. Even so, there weren’t much to eat and the food wasn’t really that nice. We were then transferred back to Borneo Backpackers where we energetic people, decided to limp all our way to Waterfront for supper. We got slaughtered by the way. We return to our hostel and before you know it, we were out again for a drink. By the way, shops in Sabah close really early. Satisfied, we return to our hostel for our much deserved rest.

Our group, all successfully conquered Mount Kinabalu! My bag made me look so weird in this picture.


No comments: